The island of Vrgada
Vrgada belongs to the coastal part of the Zadar archipelago and is located at the extreme southeastern part. This is a relatively small island with an area of 3.67 square kilometers. It is covered by forest, in the northeastern part, while the south-western coast descends steeply into the sea. The distance from the mainland is only 2.5 nautical miles. Local shipping line connects it with Pakoštane and Biograd.
More than two-thirds of the surface of Sedna is covered with dense pine forest. On most of these spaces once were in fruit-which in the last century destroyed downy mildew. The coast is rich divorced. Apart from the main port of call, called Luka, and the largest island of the bay for mooring fishing boats and boats – Pocrikve or Przine, there are also several smaller bays and coves and sandy beaches Podbrizi and larger bays Kranje in the south of the island.
Vrgada covers an area of 3.67 km2, the length of the coastline of the island is 8.65 km (length 3.0 km, width 1.3 km and the highest point is 115 m above sea level). The island is located between the southern part of the island of Pašman and the mainland coast south of Pakoštane and Drage. Vrgada had over the centuries an important strategic, communication, economic and cultural role.
Vrgada is first mentioned as a fortified town called Lumbricaton or Loumbricaton year 950 in the work of the Byzantine emperor Porphyrogenitus “Management Empire”. At the end of the 10th and early 11th century in the “Chronicle venetor”, Venetian chronicler Ivana Deacon records the name Levigrada or Levigrate. The charter St. Grisogono (issued in 1096) is called Lumbricata and Rumbrikata. Croatian name Lapkat (Labcat) was first mentioned in a Glagolitic nuts from the 14th century. The names Vrgata, Vrgad, Vergada and the like, of which origin of the Vrgada first mentioned in 1558. According Blaž Jurišić name Lapkat in use of 1390th-1617th years, Vergata from 1435 to 1523, and Vrgada is in use by the year 1420 to date.
While almost all the northern Adriatic islands, large and small, in addition to the three largest islands of Kvarner, were in the early Middle Ages still leave and uninhabited, although in some of them were more villa rustica, that is, villas and estates by retired Roman veterans, Vrgada is already then was inhabited. The reason is that it is between Vrgada and Pašman was the main strait for navigation and to control it from the approaching enemy ships and sea pirates two strong fortress: the first of today’s village of Vrgada, it is 115 m above sea level and the other at the southern tip of the island of Pašman (140 m asl).
Croats are on the Vrgada from the earliest period of immigration. Physical evidence of the aforementioned claims the early Christian church of Sts. Andrew. Croats on the island found the Illyrians, Greeks, Roman and others. The resort Vrgada from kastron grew into vicus (village), and risen to the population assimilated with the natives. Maritime transport Pašman Channel, and therefore Vrgada-Pašman passage from Vrgada – Gnalić – Pašman but then valorized.
Venetian Republic’s feud Vrgada year 1416 gave Nikola Zloradis, 1453 Jacob Farina, 1652 family Klokočić, of which in 1682 bought the island Vrgada family Damiani (Damjanovići) from the island of Brač. They were given the title of “Conti di Vergada” but they are here and moved.
The bay Pržina today there remains partition salt pans. According to historical sources, we know that the inhabitants Vrana were obliged to Zadar priori given nine measures of salt around the house.
Below the elevation of 115 m with the remnants of the old Roman – Byzantine ruins, located in the valley of the Rector’s Palace – Comte’s thumb, castle princes Damiani. On the west wall of the palace has been preserved Glagolitic inscription from 1707 – Don P.P.P. From the former palace there are only remains of the outer walls and the chapel of Our Lady of Health.
When the accounts with members of his family left the island forever, he took with him the picture of Our Lady. But did such a storm that the ship could not overseas. And at the second attempt also took a picture of, but rose even stronger storm is stayed on Vrgada. He managed to sail only at the third attempt, when a picture of Our Lady returned to the altar in the chapel.